The great thing about the U.S is that we have the ability to recreate foods from around the world, and dishes that have been inspired by other countries.
Tuna Poke is a Hawaiian dish that was inspired by Japanese and Asian culture. It is a century old dish, and once other cultures started arriving to the Islands they added their own style to it, adding in Shoyu, a soy sauce like sauce, tofu, and octopus for example. 1
There are many health benefits to eating Poke.
The sea vegetables are great for those with iodine deficiencies (usually those with Autoimmune disease), as it is rich with it,as well as a number of other vitamins and minerals such as:
Vitamin C, A, B1, B6, and B2; Copper, Protein, Potassium, Iron, Zinc,and Manganese. If you are looking to add more vitamins and minerals into you daily diet, sea vegetables are the way to go. 2
Tuna has many benefits for the skin, hair, and the heart as it is high in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, which, as a society, are lacking in our daily lives. We tend to overeat Omega-6's (processed foods:Chips, Cookies, Processed meats and dairy).
By consuming the right amount of Omega-3 you are allowing your body to balance blood flow and build a stronger heart.
Spicy foods, like cayenne, Jalapenos, or any other hot pepper, are great for your immune system and for reducing inflammation. This allows for your body to be able to absorb the nutrients from the tuna and sea vegetables. 3
This dish is both tasty and colorful, here is the recipe for you to try at home!
- 2 packages Sea Vegetables
- 1 Lb Yellowfin Sushi Grade Tuna, cubed
- 1 Cucumber, sliced
- 3 Carrots, grated
- 3 Scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 2 tsp Sesame Seeds
- Combine Mayo, Sesame Oil, Cayenne, Salt, Coconut Aminos, and Sesame Seeds into a medium sized bowl. Once mixed together add the tuna
- Sea Vegetables:Rinse salt off thoroughly, soak for 10 minutes and add to Sauce
- Place the carrots, scallions, and grated carrot on the side of the place and mix with the Poke as you eat.
- For a more flavorful experience, prepare 3-4 hours before hand and place all ingredients into the fridge.